The parish of Tynron lies in the heart of Nithsdale, in Dumfries & Galloway. Part of the Scottish Southern Uplands, it is made up of the Shinnel Glen, part of the Scaur Glen and the village of Tynron (also known as Tynron Kirk). We are still largely a farming community with just 130 people listed on the 2007 census.
Tynron is a great place for walking, cycling and wildlife. Often overlooked, our hills offer easy access and far reaching views, right across to the Cumbrian Northern Fells.
Tynron itself is a tiny, unspoilt village of listed cottages overlooked by a small, quirky kirk designed by William Burn in 1837. The architectural heritage of Tynron village has been recognised in it’s designation as a planning Conservation Area. The kirk ceased to be used as a parish church in 1997 and was subsequently sold. It is now owned by persons outwith the parish.
The most dramatic feature of our landscape is Tynron Doon – an iron-age hill fort occupied on and off from the 1st millennium BC until the 16th century.
Tynron still has several areas of designated ancient woodland, such as Kirkland, Craigturra, Hulston and Aird, with their beech, oak and other protected species. The juniper wood at Ford is a nature conservation site of international importance, and Stenhouse Wood is under the care of the Scottish Wildlife Trust.
A wealth of information on Tynron can be found here: http://www.tynronglenshaw.com